leave a message
RENOVATION PRODUCTS FOR LEATHER, LEATHERETTE, PLASTIC...
Customer area
Cart
FR
EN
ES
IT
French products direct from the manufacturer

Recolouring of car seat leatherette

12 answers

Hello,

I would like to re-colour the white leatherette parts of my vehicle's upholstery in grey.
So I don't have a reference grey. I would just like it to fit in with the rest of the upholstery (while remaining a little clearer).
In the 432 colour chart I ordered from you, I have trouble finding a shade of grey that seems quite neutral to me.
All seem to be quite far from the grey scale (whether towards blue, green or red).

Would you have the RGB codes of these 432 colours or any matches with the Pantone colour chart or even the grey colour chart you use for plastic recolouring, please?
This could help me determine the appropriate grey intensity.
(I imagine it is between R:90 V:90 V:90 B:90 and R:50 V:50 B:50)

In advance, thank you.
Emmanuel.

answer

Hello,

Indeed, the grey of the colour chart does not correspond to the RGB 90 or 50. We can make your grey by taking as reference any material even a reference of a grey on paper, if you can't send us this reference, give us the pantone reference.

Sincerely

Sofolk

answer

Thank you for your answer.

Unless I could find a sample of material (paper, fabric, etc.) of the right colour, I was indeed planning to give you a Pantone reference (as you would suggest in your letter).

But I don't have a Pantone colour chart (physical) on hand, just yours.
That's why I was trying to establish a link between the two (direct or through RGB codes).

I have seen that for the re-colouring of interior plastics you have selected shades of grey ranging from 108/105/112 to 54/51/56.
Which already gives me an indication.

I intend to opt for the most neutral grey possible (R=V=B).
All I have to do is determine its intensity, which would be close to that of your colours 425 to 428.
If you have their RGB equivalents, I'm a taker.

Sincerely,
Emmanuel.

answer

I have noticed the following color:
Pantone 425C
Hexa: #56595C R:86 V:89 B:92

Is it part of the Pantone (C) range you use, please?

Sincerely,
Emmanuel.

answer

Hello,

I just ordered you a "SKAI RECOLORATION KIT All colours 1 armchair" in Pantone 445 colour.
Hexagonal grey: #565959 R:86 V:89 B:89 which should be suitable.
I have specified'less wide foam' (concerning the roll provided), as you suggested (the seat strips are 5cm wide).

I will keep you informed of the result.

Sincerely,
Emmanuel.

answer

I received the leatherette re-colouring kit.
I'll start with the rear headrests, which are less conspicuous, at the end of the test.
To be continued... ;-)

answer

I took advantage of the slightly more moderate temperatures and finally dry weather to get to work.
And so I got my hands on the back headrests.
I have no particular concern, except with the masking that remains delicate between 2 shades that could not be more contrasting (black and white).
The grey re-colorant had a little trouble covering the white.
Contrary to what is indicated in the "Advice on re-colouring leatherette and vinyl" I did not find it very concentrated (even after conscientiously shaking the bottle).
On the contrary, I had to apply it with a brush and give up the foam roller, which did not deposit enough pigments.
It must be said that this leatherette is very granular.
I was satisfied with 2 layers, even if in some places a third layer would not have been too much.
On the other hand, the roller has proved very useful for the application of protection, which tends to foam.
I accelerated the drying of the different coats with a thermal stripper (without hair dryer) set at minimum temperature, blower at the highest temperature and held 20cm from the leatherette (between 60 and 70ÂC).
The process seemed to me to be quite effective. This is probably due to the low thickness of the layers and the water-based nature of the products, which evaporates easily.
The colour, very silvery in the first layer (with the white support in transparency), corresponds to the final result I expected.

answer

I'll continue on the front headrests.
First coat of re-colouring agent during drying.

The most complicated remains to come.
The dimensions of the front seats as well as the top of the steering wheel.
Parts that cannot be dismantled (easily), to be treated directly in the passenger compartment (reduced access and lighting), within certain time limits (I could not stop the vehicle for more than 2-3 days) and which will then be subjected to friction (to be well protected).

answer

Headrests before finishing.
Let be 1 layer of preparation 3 layers of grey 1 layer of protection.
I applied each product with a brush before applying it with a roller.
They are all very easy to apply and you can even easily distinguish between the parts already covered and those still to be done (the colour, for example, darkens when drying).
The tools are very easy to clean (with water) and the overflow of recolouring agents on the surrounding plastics leave with alcohol (once dry).
I didn't see any stains on the fabric (so it doesn't seem to stick to it).
The grain of the leatherette remains visible.
The finish may be slightly too bright for my taste (it was originally matt).
I'm getting to the biggest piece as soon as possible... ;-)

answer

The re-colouring of the upholstery (seats and steering wheel) is now complete and I am generally satisfied with the result.
The shade, chosen a little blindly, suits me very well.
The products are really easy to apply. They do not stick, spread well and are easy to clean. Even d

answer

Some news.
The dye lasted 3 to 4 months on the parts of the edges of the seats most exposed to friction (on the thighs and arms).
So I had to do it again with the products I had left over.
Nothing very tedious except to immobilize the vehicle for at least 2 days.
A depigmentation also starts to appear in small dots on the steering wheel, which is always unpleasant on the touch (I plan to replace it).

answer

Hello,

Have you ironed a protective layer since the re-colouring? Maintenance is very important. For rough surfaces it is necessary to sand until a smooth surface is obtained.

Qty.

Sofolk

answer

Hello,

Thank you for your help.
No, I had not reapplied a protective layer since the initial re-colouring concluded with 3 layers of this product.
I was planning to do it very regularly but more often every 6 months.
I don't plan to spend two days a month on it.
The leatherette of the seats being seed (coarse grains) a sanding seems to me delicate.
I conscientiously applied and wiped the leatherette degreaser with microfibre, which had the effect of mattifying the surfaces. Then I applied 2 coats of recolouring agent with this time more difficulty to obtain a uniform shade before finishing with 2 coats of protection applied at 24h intervals.
(all dry with thermal scraper)

Sincerely,
Emmanuel.

OTHER SIMILAR TOPICS
Leatherette car seat renovation tutorial
Par Sofolk, le 10/11/2017
Dying colours for alcantara
Par Naomi, le 29/12/2023
Dyeing alcantara car seats.
Par Rob, le 14/03/2023
Repair leatherette color bmw sensatec beige,
Par BMW 325, le 08/09/2020
Cracking tearing leatherette sitting
Par Small, le 17/09/2019
Damaged skai ds3 racing seats
Par Pierre73, le 08/08/2019
Should the leatherette be sanded as for leather for recolouring?
Par Quentin.98, le 27/06/2019
Oil varnish recolouring / oil varnish recolouring
Par Jerome29, le 09/04/2019
Following re-colouring leatherette
Par Loulou38, le 28/05/2018
Aide skaï
Par Johan, le 08/05/2018
Direct from the manufacturer

100% french manufacturing since 1989!

Secured HTTPS site and payment

Payment by CB, PayPal, Bank transfer

more information