leave a message
RENOVATION PRODUCTS FOR LEATHER, LEATHERETTE, PLASTIC...
Customer area
Cart
FR
EN
ES
IT
French products direct from the manufacturer

Renovation of leather steering wheel realized with the complete kit

5 answers

Hello,

I repaired and renovated my leather steering wheel on BMW using the black leather steering wheel renovation kit.

The repair paste allowed me to replace a small piece of leather that had disintegrated. After several sessions of repair, sanding, staining, staining, I finally got the result I wanted.

But something bothers me: the steering wheel is a little sticky, without altering the colour.
Do you have a varnish that completely insulates the coating or should the delivered product be used differently?

Thank you in advance.

answer

Good evening,

It is only natural that this problem should bother you and you are doing well to tell us about it.

The reason is simple: you didn't clean your leather well enough before applying our re-colourant.

Even if the leather may look clean, there may still be traces of sebum / perspiration. The steering wheel is certainly in a vehicle the dirtiest and dirtiest part and it is imperative to insist on cleaning.

The good news is that not everything is lost. The bad news is that you will have to start your renovation from scratch. With the exception of the application of the repair paste, which will remain in place....

How and with what did you carry out the cleaning?

answer

Thank you for your answer.

The product used is an all-purpose cleaner widely used by companies that clean car interiors, the "Blue APC, d'Insta Finish", almost pure, dried with absorbent paper, then rinsed several times and dried again.

The steering wheel was then fully sanded with the 240 sheets of paper provided. The finishing was done with 800 dry.

I then applied 4 coats of dye, and as many coats of varnish.

I can always take it all back with acetone, hoping that the repair paste will resist this treatment.

answer

Hello,

Why didn't you use acetone as indicated in the instructions for use, it's no coincidence that we ask you to use this product for cleaning because it's a degreaser but also it breaks the original varnish to allow the recolorant to fix itself well by going down a little in the leather. The leather sticks when the re-colouring agent remains on the surface, which is your case The repair paste does not take on any material other than leather, so you must stick a small piece of leather and apply the paste

Sincerely

The SOFOLK team

answer

With the sanding I did, over the entire surface of the steering wheel, there should not be any dirt left.
I think I used too much dye in too short a time, which saturated the leather.

I will notify after a few weeks and if the problem persists, I will do it again.

Thank you for your information.

answer

Hello,

The problem does not come from the 4 layers, sanding only affects the grain of the leather, you have not cleared the inter-fibrillar space for the recolouring agent to infiltrate and this is the only reason for a leather that sticks after recolouring with our recolouring agent. We have another re-colourer with which you would not have had this problem because it is designed to cling to the surface unlike pigment re-colourant which is a compromise between clinging and penetration to avoid the leatherette effect.

Sincerely

The SOFOLK team

OTHER SIMILAR TOPICS
Leather steering wheel renovation tutorial
Par Philippe, le 30/12/2017
Leather car seat renovation tutorial
Par SOFOLK, le 04/02/2019
Color change on bmw seats
Par Samppa, le 26/03/2024
Teasla beige interior to ultra-white
Par Abbi, le 01/10/2023
Change to lighter colour